Friday, August 04, 2006

Coming to Terms and realizing it's not about me

*Whew*

I'm done. I'm finished. I just needed a day to process that the album that Clay will release on September 19th is not the album that I wanted. But you know what? It's not about me. It's about Clay. It's about Clay and what HE wants to do. It's about Clay and what HE wants to sing. It's about Clay and what HE feels is right for him. My rant was selfish because it was about what I want. And I'm not the boss of Clay Aiken's career.

I just want so much for Clay. I feel that vocally, he is the premiere talent of his generation and I don't want that incredible talent to be shrugged off because people may put labels on what Clay has chosen to do with his career. Maybe I'm just scared that he won't get the critical acclaim that I think he deserves. And, man, oh, man, does he ever deserve it. But again, it's not about me.

This is only Clay's second mainstream album. Maybe he's taking baby steps. Maybe he's experimenting with just what that incredible voice can do. Maybe this CD will be a Tour de Force of vocal beauty. I'm just having trouble with knowing that there's very few, if any uptempo, rock-ish songs on the CD when clearly he does them so well and his fans eat it up with a spoon.

Maybe Clay doesn't think of himself as a rocker. Maybe he thinks his strengths lie in ballads. After all, he sings ballads better than anyone else in the world. As I said, it's Clay's career and I'm either on board or I quietly leave the fandom. And you know what? I ain't going anywhere. I'm here for the long haul. Clay Aiken has the talent and the charisma to keep me glued to my computer, buying his CD's, and attending his concerts forever.

I can sit here and tell myself that he's under contract to RCA and Clive made his do this CD, that Clay wanted to do something different, but you know what? I'll never know. Not unless Clay talks about it sometime in the future and I don't think he ever will. He holds his cards close to his vest and I'll never be an intimate friend of his, so all I can do is either decide to support him or get off this crazy ride that I'm on. I'm supporting Clay Aiken. I'm having too much freaking fun to do otherwise.

So.......now I'm anxious. I'm anxious to hear the CD, I'm anxious to hear what he's done with the arrangements, with his voice and I'm DYING to hear the song that Clay wrote. I don't think there's anything in this world that will make me like that Richard Marx song, even Clay, but what will he do with the Dolly Parton song? Why did he pick that? It's going to be very interesting to hear the arrangement.

And the Susie Song? The fandom calls it 'IWKWLI', or 'I Want to Know What Love Is', that's hard to type out, so, since he duets with Susie McNeil from Rock Star: INXS, I'll just call it The Susie Song. In the snippet that I heard (I heard mostly her part), she kicks all kinds of ass so I can't wait to hear the finished product.

I just needed a day to process the loss of 'Back for More' and I was really hoping to hear 'I Can't Make You Love Me' without all the screaming that happened at the concerts last summer, a studio version of that song, like he did with 'My Grownup Christmas List' on GMA last Christmas. Every time I watch that video, I cry. That song, and what Clay did with, it moves me to tears with the sheer gorgeousness of his vocal interpretation.

Clay Aiken needs to craft his career the way that makes him happy so he keeps singing to me for the rest of my life. I'm cool with that. Although he may not sing that kinds of songs that I would prefer, I can get on board with what he chooses. He hasn't disappointed me yet.

3 comments:

Allegra said...

I've made peace with the tracklist. I had a brief WTF moment, but realized I liked the songs.

Initially I thought, if the CD was to be a ballads, I was hoping for rock ballads. Those most likely were written by rockers who perhaps did not want to release their songs to Clay. Who knows. I do think this CD has tremendous commercial appeal. I think Michael Boston and Jesse McCartney (both who have love song albums coming out if I'm not mistaken) should be quaking in their boots. *g*

VV/EE

The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

You know I don't think there was anything that Clay could have put out that would stop the "critics", DJs, KC fan haters or anyone that has already made a judgment about Clay from finding something to bitch about. The people Clay needs to reach are the ones who have an open mind. What better way than to hear that exquisite voice? Maybe that was the plan. Look at the pretty. Listen to the beautiful. Go to a concert and watch Clay let loose on the concert stage.

And I actually think there are a couple of rock ballads on this CD. So if we could get an r&b ballad, an acoustic ballad and a jazz ballad - this could be a lot better than it initially reads. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dianne Barbee said...

Shady,

I so agree with the points in your blog. None of us knows for sure what went on during the making and remaking of this CD.

However, this is Clay's life and his career, which I feel privileged to be here to enjoy, aid, write about, etc. I also respect his judgment and know he fiercely wants to succeed.

Can't wait to hear the incredible VOX again!

Caro