Thursday, September 25, 2008

What I learned from Clay Aiken

There's quite a discussion going on on Clay's fan club about the revalations of the past few days. I just spent about 10 hellish hours at work, came home and another ofc member e-mailed me a brief synopsis of what's been said. I will never be able to catch up on 500 plus pages so I'm just going to say this:

Clay Aiken has given me more joy in this life than I ever thought possible. Because of Clay, I have met some of the most amazing people I've ever known. Because of Clay and the boards, I have learned that I had many undiscovered talents, one of which is how to write. Because of Clay, I threw a week-end party in my house a few years ago for 15 women I had never met before, board friends who flew in from California, Seattle, Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, Key West, and other points USA. We had never met, but we 'knew' each other because of the message boards. We ranged in age from 18 to 65. It was one of the most magical weekends ever.

Because of Clay, I learned how to really use a computer. Because of Clay, I learned how to download, upload, create a blog, create a MySpace, use e-bay, spend on e-bay (thanks, Clay), use PayPal, do things I never even knew about BC (before Clay). I still haven't learned how to photoshop or make a montage, but that will come.


Because of Clay, I learned that 50 is just a number, that he can make me feel 25 again, and sometimes, 12. Because of Clay (well, ok, and Star Trek), I learned that diversity makes life more interesting and good friends more valuable. That giving to charity benefits the giver as much as the receiver. Because of Clay and the boards, I learned that every poster's opinion is valid for them and even though I may differ tremendously from their point of view, we can still be friends.

Because of Clay, I learned that language matters when referring to children with different abilities, I learned that his heart is bigger than his voice and that the love he has for children is immense. I remember one early interview he gave about Michael Bubel and an incident in a store where Michael acted out. Clay said to the onlookers 'you need to move on, there's nothing to see here', or words to that affect. I thought of that incident when I took my father to the store when his Alzheimer's was very bad. My father pee'd on the floor at the checkout counter, he couldn't help himself. I used words similar to Clay's when people started to stare. Thank you, Clay, for helping me through that. I buried my dad two weeks ago. He loved your voice. BTW, so do the other patients in the nursing home, they have all your CDs *g*

Because of Clay, I am a happier person than I was 5 years ago. There is a spring in my step and a lightness in my heart that defies explanation (and sometimes gravity). When I see Clay on stage, I am free of worries, free of pain, and my heart can't contain the joy and happiness he gives me.

Do I care that Clay is gay? Read above and tell me how who he sleeps with changes anything. For me, it simply doesn't. He was never going to sleep with me, anyway.

I'm sad that some posters are upset for whatever reason, but posters have a right to their feelings. They don't have a right to be rude, nasty, or condescending towards Clay and his family at all, but human nature is a strange thing. I think 98% of fans are supportive. There will always be some who can't wrap their mind around the situation. So be it.

And Mr. Aiken, I'll see you on Saturday. Look for me in the audience, 'mk?






5 comments:

gerra said...

Great blog!

Dianne Barbee said...

Shadylil,

Awesome blog! I had to scroll several pages to find it on Google, which has certainly buried the Clay Blogs the past couple of days.

Have a reat weekend!

Caro

Dianne Barbee said...

LOL, make that GREAT WEEKEND!

Caro

Martha Pope said...

Beautifully stated. I feel so much like you. Thanks for writing all the things Clay has done for us. I have made some wonderful friends. I can't wait for Dec. 11-15 when I go back to NYC! Have a great weekend! MP

WRU said...

Beautiful!