Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spamalot: A Tribute and a Farewell

I said my farewell to Spamalot last Sunday during Clay Aiken's last show. I've seen the show about 14 times. I probably wouldn't have seen it at all if not for the fact that Clay was appearing in it. I went to see Clay and I came away with an appreciation of, and love for, so many things Spamalot.

The show itself is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. The script is fabulous, the music fits so well within the parameters of the comedy, and I fell in love with the actors, all of them, from the leads to the chorus to the dancers. I want this blog to be a tribute to the marvelous show that is Spamalot.

Created by Eric Idle and John du Prez, Monty Python's Spamalot was 'lovingly' ripped from the motion picture, 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'. Directed by the award-winning Mike Nichols, the show won the Tony award for best musical in 2005 and has been going strong ever since. The actors come and go, but the play remains as funny as ever.

I didn't get to see the original show with the original actors, including David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry, but I was privileged to see the last installment with the current actors. This is a tribute to them:


King Arthur: Played by Jonathan Hadary and Michael Siberry. Both had a different take on the King with Jonathan playing him more seriously, more of the anchor to the show, and Michael giving Arthur a more comedic personality. I confess I fell in love with Jonathan's portrayal, but grew to appreciate Michael's take on the character.

Patsy: Luckily I didn't have to choose between actors because the brilliant David Hibbard played Patsy for the entire run that I attended. David brought a heartfelt poignancy to the role that was the soul of the show. One can't help falling in love with Patsy. And David's brilliant rendition of 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' puts a smile on my face every time I think of it, but my favorite thing that David did? The head cheerleader for the Lady of the Lake and her Laker girls. It was about a 30 second bit that quickly became something I looked forward to every show.

The Lady of the Lake: Again, played by two actresses Hannah Waddingham and Merle Dandridge. Both ladies are wonderful. Hannah brought a more 'over the top' rendition to the role, while Merle was a bit more understated. I liked them both equally well and I got to meet Merle during a fund-raiser for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids (BC/EFA) when I got my picture taken with her and Clay. There was way too much pretty up on the stage and I don't mean me.

Sir Dennis Galahad: Played by both Christopher Sibert and Bradley Dean, Christopher went on to another show early in Clay's run. I loved Christopher's and Clay's characters interaction but grew to appreciate and respect Bradley as he grew into the role. In the end Bradley made more of an impression because he was in the role longer than Chris, but I loved them both.

Sir Lancelot: What can I say about Rick Holmes? Brilliant. Magnificent. Funny as hell. Perfect for the role. I loved him. His French Taunter was one the funniest things I've ever seen and his big 'Carmen Miranda' dance was hilarious. What a talented man Rick is. I hope to be able to see him do other roles. Soon.

Sir Robin: Originally played by David Hyde Pierce, I only saw Clay in the role. I've been a fan of Clay's since American Idol and I know how freaking talented he is but Broadway? Acting? Dancing? Well, I go to see Clay as much as I can so I went to his opening night. I knew he'd be good but what I didn't know is that he'd nail it so well. Not only acting, but dancing, too! And funny! If you've ever been to the 'Clay Aiken Traveling Singing and Stand-Up Comedy Show' you'd know he was funny, but he was freaking funny in the show. Shitting his pants, dancin' an' fightin', Brother Maynard, the Castle Guard, he brought an innocence to each role that was refreshing.

Prince Herbert: Tom Deckman. What can I say about the multi-talented Tom Deckman? Thank heaven I discovered him in Spamalot because I will be following his career forever. He reminds me of the great comedic talents like a Dick VanDyke. Tom has a face that can, with just one look, convey an entire character's feelings. And he has a voice as pure as snow. I lurves him muchly.

Sir Bedevere: Wally Dunn plays Sir Bedevere and Sir Galahad's mother. The part isn't very big, but Wally puts is own spin on each character and you can't help but fall in love with him.

I'd like to pay my respects to the show's ensemble:

Piper Lindsay Arpan, Thomas Cannizzaro, Callie Carter, Kevin Crewell, Matthew Crowle, Nikki Della Penta, Mika Duncan, Andrew Fitch, Stephanie Gibson, Jenny Hill, Emily Hsu, Kristy Kerwin, Gavin Lodge, Brian Marcum, Michael O'Donnell, Pamela Remler, Vanessa Sonon, Rick Spanns, and Billy Sprague, Jr. I hope I got everyone. I took the info from the Playbill.

This tribute would not be complete without mentioning the illustrious Musical Director, Todd Ellison. Todd and his orchestra set the mood from the opening number to the final note. He had to coordinate his orchestra with the action on the stage, not an easy thing to do. Thank you, Todd, we loved you, too.

Finally, to the backstage crew, who worked so tirelessly behind the scenes to bring this show to life, to the Shubert organization, who treated the inflow of Clay's fans with grace and courtesy, to the Shubert security who 'secured' with patience and, sometimes, smiles, to the ushers and usherettes, who were gracious, my hat's off to you all. You can look back on this special time on Broadway with pride for you all did a really, really good job.

Thank you.

Oh. And I fart in your general direction.






4 comments:

Dianne Barbee said...

Shadylil,

**Extended applause!!!**

... or, like you, the ultimate accolade: I fart in your general direction!

Excellent tribute to SPAMALOT!

Caro

stpteach said...

Brava, Ms Shady! As one who would never have considered her a Monty Python fan, I shall be ever grateful to Clay Aiken for taking the plunge and giving me the opportunity to see this incredibly funny, off-the-wall and slightly skewed to off-center show. Your take on the cast and ensemble are spot on; I can only add my kudos to this delightfully talented and ever gracious group of people.

Jannet said...

This was wonderfuly Shady! What a great tribute! He has opened up so many doors for us, hasn't he?

And a light will truly go out on Broadway tonight.. that's for sure.

Ashes said...

This is a most enjoyable read, thank you! I never got to see the show live, but just from reading everyone's ventures I too became a fan of it.

I just knew Clay would be wonderful, but never thought I'd get interested in the whole gang!

A well deserved tribute to the cast.