Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bruce Springsteen and Clay Aiken...my two loves

Go figure. My two favorite musicians are Bruce Springsteen and Clay Aiken. Musically, two diametrically opposed guys. So why do I love them both?

I remember hearing Bruce for the first time in the early 80’s. Dancing in the Dark. Loved the song, loved the video, bought the album and I’ve been a fan ever since. His music speaks to me, his passion speaks to me, his songwriting speaks to me. I can get lost in his music. I wish that I would have heard of him in the mid-seventies because that decade I spent going down the shore and hitting the clubs. Sure as shooting, I would have hit the Stone Pony or any of the Jersey bars that Bruce used to play. From his early efforts to the new Pete Seeger album, Springsteen’s passion, the quality of his work, and the always excellent band he has backing him fill a place in my heart that yearns to rock out on stage with him.

Although I never saw Bruce in concert, I’ve heard, and seen in some videos, that his concerts are freaking amazing. Here’s a man who can hold 20,000 fans in the palm of his hand for three hours while he rocks the night.

Enjoy Bruce singing “Born in the USA”






And another early favorite, “She’s the One”. The first three to four minutes are just Bruce jamming with his band. He starts the song about 4 minutes into the video.






The first time I heard Clay was on American Idol. It was the Atlanta audition and out walks this skinny guy, all arms and elbows, proudly proclaiming “Ah’m the next American Ahdol”. Having watched the first season of the show, I knew that the auditions were the place for the judges to mock, bash, and generally insult the bad singers. I thought that Clay was a ringer and said to myself, “Simon’s gonna rip him a new asshole”. Well, the joke was on me because Clay Aiken opened his mouth to sing and he grabbed me at “Take”.


Each week that Clay sang, I fell for him a little bit more. His voice was undeniably one of the best I’ve ever heard and his personality seemed to sparkle through his eyes. It’s hard to put it into words but he grabbed my heart, along with my ears *g* and three years later, I’m still here, still loving the vox and the man.

His growth in the past three years has been amazing. He’s grown vocally from a good singer who belted out his songs into a consummate vocalist who explores the nuances of a melody and evokes an emotion from the lyrics that grabs you and doesn’t let go.



Please enjoy this video of Clay singing
Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love me”. The beautiful, jazzy piano intro takes up the first two minutes of the video.





And watch Clay sing "Back for More" at the same concert, by the same videographer, the fabulous Spotlightlover. Watch the mic throw at 2:04.







Bruce just released his critically acclaimed album, "The Seeger Sessions" and while we're still waiting news of the release of Clay's third CD, we expect it QUITE soon.

So there you have it, Clay and Bruce, totally different, but I love them both. Go figure.



Related Tags: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

drmchaser said...

Nice pictures!!
I discovered Bruce through "Dancing in the Dark" also!! You described my own feelings for the singer and his songs perfectly. My first Bruce concert was the Born in the USA tour - LA Coliseum, 93,000 fans and it was one of the most personal concerts I have ever attended. Fantastic show! What a powerhouse performer. He sang, teased, told stories, held our attention every minute and was host to what felt like a four hour Springsteen party. I was lucky enough to attend shows for the next four tours, including Amnesty International. Never thought I'd find another performer who could match Bruce's energy and charisma on stage. He was the soundtrack to my twenties.

Then came Clay. The energy, the talent and the charisma are different because... well, there is only one Boss. But just as importantly, there is only one Clay. And my fascination with him is much deeper and more complex (at this stage in my life I'm also having a lot more fun). It's a priviledge to witness the professional birth of a great artist(Clay). I missed that with Bruce so I'm going to savor every step of Clay's journey to the top.


Thanks for a great read!!

dixiehellcat said...

EEEE, folks who share my 2 great loves!! I found Bruce a bit earlier, when The River came out in 1980. My parents wouldn't let me go to his concert so I used that $ to buy the album. Finally saw him live on the BITUSA tour too...in December, so he even sang Santa Claus is Comin to Town! :-D (waves to cinnchris--hi sister Broads!)

Allegra said...

Shady,

I knew I liked you. *g* We have the same two loves. Maybe we can share. My husband is from NJ so our summers at the shore were filled with Bruce. He even bought scalped tickets to the Meadowlands (completely against his nature)for our first wedding anniversary ,and drove two and half hours during a work week for those nosebleed seats. Best anniversary present ever. I've let him off the hook for the next 22 anniversaries because of that one.

It's funny you mention DITD because die-hard Bruce fans consider that song selling-out. I love it though. Without it I doubt he would have crossed over into major mainstream stardom. It's the song that got him major radio play...his Since U Been Gone, so to speak.