Sunday, June 11, 2006

DJ's and radio respect

OK. If you read my blog about Clay and radio play, you know that radio has never been that friendly to Mr. Aiken. Invisible got some nice airplay, but a lot of DJ’s mocked Clay. What I never understood was, why? That Clay can sing is undeniable, that his talent can compete with the very best out there, is understood. So why do these DJ’s mock and ridicule?

I think American Idol was considered to be nothing more than a karaoke bar reject, just taken to a larger stage. Kelly Clarkson, who won Season 1, hadn’t proved herself by the time Season 2 was aired. Even though the Clay/Ruben finale was the most talked about TV ‘moment’ for at least a year afterwards, again, the show and its ‘stars’ were unproven.


At least that’s what the media said. The media kept saying, “They haven’t paid their dues”. What dues? You mean playing in bars for 20 years before getting your big chance? That’s OK, if you’re in a band but what if you’re a solo artist? Where do you go? Broadway? Vegas? Hollywood? Waiting tables while trying to get gigs and going on auditions? I admire those people for doing that, but it doesn’t mean that others who chose a different way of doing things are any better or any worse and it doesn’t mean they haven’t paid their dues.

Some people realize that trying for the elusive brass ring is such a long shot that they made contingent plans, like teaching, or nursing. But looking towards one’s future realistically also doesn’t mean that they stopped doing community theater, or singing in church, or singing at weddings, or at the local bowling lanes.

Being on a show like American Idol makes the public think that the singers decide to appear on the show for a lark and go after instant fame. Maybe for some of them, but most of the contestants do have previous experience, they have paid their dues.

Which brings me right back around to Clay Aiken. Clay started singing when he was about three years old. He was a member of The Raleigh Boys Choir, he sang in high school, he was a member of a band called ‘Just by Chance’, he sang in community theater, he sang for the Johnson County Community Shows and Hometown Connection shows. Not paid his dues. Pah-leeze.



Anyway, I’ve been reading about how DJ’s are now starting to say nice things about Clay, as evidenced below, thanks to Inviible926:

I was listening to Kidd's show last week during my commute to Baton Rouge. It was a few days after the AI finale. The topic of discussion was ‘style’ vs ‘substance; substance being real vocal talent.

Kidd and his crew agree that Taylor won purely because of style. They weren’t too impressed with his voice. They felt that Kat got as far as she did because of substance. All of a sudden, I heard ‘Invisible’ playing and Kidd said that guy is 100% substance. He won because he can sing his butt off!!! Clay’s name was never mentioned. Kid’s tone was very complimentary. They talked about a few more past contestants, but Clay was the only one for whom they played a snippet of a song.

Kidd wasn’t the only DJ to speak well of Clay. So why is this changing? Why the shift in attitude? I think some of it has to do with American Idol being in its fifth season. It has stood the test of time. Some of the contestants are now very successful, not only Clay, but Kelly has had phenomenal success, Carrie Underwood is doing quite well, so is Fantasia and Ruben, not to mention Josh Gracin, Kimberley Locke and Bo Bice.


Obviously, from the name of my blog, you can see that I’m a Clay fan so this makes me very happy, but it also bodes well for others who take an unconventional path to success in their careers.




Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

webweaver said...

Isn't it good to hear DJs FINALLY beginning to say nice things about Clay? As much as my cynical side says "it's about time... and what'$ changed?", it's still good to hear. Even if I don't listen to music on the radio cos my iPod is so much better... :)

The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

I really really really want to hear a song on the radio this summer. Why? I have no idea because I usually listen to my iPod or Air America in the car - But a great summer song by Clay--all over the radio . . . yeah, that makes me very happy.

Allegra said...

Word to your entire post.

Radio is all about payola and what's cool. If you have both, the sky's the limit. Hopefully, with Clay's new image, he'll be cool enough and he'll get good radio mentions. With RCA support, hopefully he'll get played. It can't be any worse than the MOAM album cycle, but I am looking for a whole lot more. Maybe not Kelly C gargantuum radio play because I'm sick of her and I'm a fan, but several spins per station a day would be nice.

Shadylil said...

I agree with all of you. I want to hear Clay on the radio, not only because I love his voice, but other people, the NJU fans deserve to hear that voice.