Friday, November 30, 2007

My Grown-up Birthday Wish for you, Clay

By Rockysmom............

Well, well, well Mr. Aiken. Today's your 29th birthday. I know that seems old to you, but trust me sweetie...I've got underwear older than that (I know,I know.... just a little too much info there *g*).

And once again we're blessed that you're celebrating it with us....those enthusiastic and creative females you've chosen to think of as your extended family. Hopefully sometime today you'll get a chance to blow out all those candles on a cake (free of mint, chocolate, and tree nuts, of course) and that the wish you make--and every other wish you hold in your heart--comes true.

This will be your last birthday as a "twenty-something". What changes this past decade years has wrought for you....you're no longer the young, painfully skinny, slightly geeky boy who had only flown in a plane and left his home state of North Carolina once.


You've matured into a handsome, sophisticated young man who has traveled the world, for business, for pleasure, and as an advocate for children's causes. That is one thing that hasn't changed about you as you head towards the "Big 30".... your commitment to helping others and inclusion for all. As you yourself have said...."the wrapping may have changed, but the gift is still the same". So today I'd like to humbly offer you "My Grown-Up Birthday Wish" (with apologies to David Foster):

Do you remember me?
I saw you on TV
I wrote to you of schoolgirl fantasies

Well you're all grown-up now
Your looks have changed (and how!)
You're not a child but my heart still can dream

So here's my life-long wish....my grown-up birthday list
Not for myself, but for someone I love....

No more lives torn apart
That rumors never start
And time can heal your heart

That you can always count on friends
That right will always win
And you find a love that never ends

This is my grown-up birthday wish

As children we believe
the grandest sight to see
Is something lovely tagged "From You--To Me"

But as our wisdom grows
Those packages and bows
Take second place to what's held in our hearts and souls

No more dreams torn apart
That lies and hatred never start
And time has healed your heart

That you are always surrounded by your friends
That right will always win
And you realize ...our love for you will never end.....

This is my grown-up birthday wish


Happy Birthday Clay.....Always and Forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said, Rockysmom!