Wednesday, May 10, 2006

American Idol

Is anyone watching this?

This is a tough year. There are many talented people, but not one stand-out. Not like Season 2, where Clay Aiken stood head and shoulders above the best. It's down to the final 4. Who will go tonight? Elliot? Katherine? Chris? Taylor? At this point, it's a crap shoot, unless you believe the internet rumors that say Chris or Taylor are in the forefront. They all have their fans.

In my opinion, it's time for Elliot to go. While he has a decent voice, he's often pitchy and that vibrato of his makes him un-listenable to my ears. I think his subtle make-over made a world of difference, but I can't see myself listening to a record that he records.

By far, of the last four, Katherine has the best voice, but she's been uneven in her performances and hasn't always picked the best songs to show off her voice. Her 'Black Horse and Cherry Tree' was terrific and if she'd record an album similar to that genre, I'd buy it. One good thing, Tommy Mottolo really seemed to like her and if Kat can get away from the evil machine that is AI, and IF Tommy would sign her, I think he could Mariah-fy her and she see big success.

Chris. Evidently the rumor that Fuel asked him to front their band is true. Too bad he was unable to take that offer because if he wins, I fear TPTB, specifically Clive Davis, will pull a Bo Bice and give him pop songs to sing when clearly he needs alt rock songs. Can you imagine Chris singing "The Real Thing'? *shudders*

Which brings me to Taylor. He makes me smile. Every performance he does, I smile. he's not the best singer, he's not the best dancer, he's not the best entertainer, but there's something infectious about his voice. I would love to hear him in a club. I look forward to seeing him in person.

I can imagine any one of these singers making their living in music, with the exception of Elliot, but I don't see any of them as The American Idol. I don't see that Clay Aiken magic, that mystery, that kind of talent.

Too bad, because they are all likeable.


Well...that was a shocker. Somehow I didn't see Chris leaving. I thought he was the choosen one. Oh, well.




3 comments:

The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

I feel the same way about Taylor. I can't stop smiling when I performs. His love of music and singing pore out of his body and for all his "mannerisms" they really seem to come from some deep love of music that takes over his being. It would be such fun to see him and Clay do something soulful together. And then dance. Now that would be funny!

Rose said...

I appear to be hooked on American Idol. But I agree that none of them are at the same level as Clay. Even though I do favor Taylor, there are things I like about all the contestants. Seeing Chris go home tonight was a big surprise though.

Pink Armchair said...

Well, Shady, you and I see eye to eye on this, as we've discussed! I was pretty surprised to see Chris go. I wish him well, but it was fun to see the look on Simon's face, wasn't it? Hee.

I hope Taylor goes all the way, partially for the same reason, and partially because I really like him. I think he's a better singer than he's being given credit for.